This is The Best Light and Fluffy Angel Food Cake I have ever had. A little bit sweet and extra light and fluffy. It is great as or perfect for strawberry short cake.
This was my first try at making an angel food cake. Although it didn't look perfect , it tasted absolutely delicious. I have definitely ventured out of my comfort zone in the last couple years. Low Carb -Keto Instant Pot Cheesecake was my first real cheese cake. Classic Homemade Apple Pie was my first shot at making homemade pie crust.
If you are wanting to make strawberry short cake and save on the calories and carbs , use Sugar-Free Strawberry Sauce it is delicious.
Frequently asked Questions about Angel Food Cake -
In my research I found that the consensus is that you must use a tube pan for it to come out the right consistency.
I have found that if sifted well all purpose flour will work . I prefer the flavor of cake flour though.
Yes if put in airtight container it will freeze fine. It thaws quite quickly. Take out a few hours before serving.
How to Make The Best Light and Fluffy Angel Food Cake :
Ingredients Needed :
- Cake Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Egg Whites
- Cream of Tartar
- Vanilla Extract or Orange Extract
Other Recipes You May Like to Try :
The Best Light and Fluffy Angel Food Cake
- Electric Mixer
- Mixing Bowl, serving bowl , spatula
- Tube Pan
- 1 cup Cake Flour
- 2 cups Sugar Divided
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 ¾ cups Egg Whites 10-12 eggs separated
- 1.5 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 2 tsps. Vanilla or Orange Extract
- Pre-Heat Oven to 375°
- Combine half of the flour , sugar and salt and sift them together 3-4 times. Set aside.
- Mix the egg whites with an electric mixer on low speed until they get frothy, then add the cream of tartar and vanilla or orange extract.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and continue whipping, adding remaining sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Wait a few seconds between each addition to give time for the sugar to incorporate.
- Increase to medium-high speed and whip until it reaches stiff peaks.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the remaining flour mixture into the egg whites ¼ cup at a time. Sift the flour mixture again as you are adding it to the egg whites. Repeat process until all the flour mixture has been added.
- Pour the batter into the ungreased pan and smooth evenly, then run a knife through the batter to break up any air bubbles. Also run knife around the outside wall and inside wall of the pan as well. Air bubbles that sit against the sides of the pan can give it little air pockets on the edges once baked. I used parchment paper on inside of pan , however it is optional
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Tooth pick should come out clean when inserted
- Immediately after removing cake from oven, turn cake upside down to cool
- When cake is cool , turn right side up and run a knife around cake before removing. Invert onto plate or platter
- Slice cake with a serrated knife ,using a sawing motion.
If you make this recipe, please stop back by and let me know how it came out. I would love to see your pictures.