Classic Homemade Apple Pie is the perfect fall dessert . Made with with fresh granny smith apples and a sweet home made pie crust. You will love it for sure . It is delicious and makes your house smell wonderful.
To make this pie I used my recipe for Easy Homemade Pie Crust and Homemade Apple Pie Filling they came together to make a great pie . My family loved it. Apple is one of my hubbies favorites. I used granny smith apples because I like the tart flavor , however you can use your own personal favorite.
There is definitely something very satisfying about making a pie completely from scratch . Normally I would use canned filling or store bought crusts but this time I used the my homemade recipes. Feel free to use either or . I used a pie filling some use the apples fresh and allow them to cook in the pie.
Can I Use A Store Bought Pie Crust ?-
If you don’t want to make a Easy Homemade Pie Crust a packaged pie crust will work just fine. Just brush the top with one egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of water and give it a little sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon on top .
Should I Let The Pie Cool Before I Cut It ?
If you wait until the pie is room temperature it will slice better, if you cut it well it is hot the filling will run out.
How to Make Classic Homemade Apple Pie :
INGREDIENTS NEEDED-For Easy Homemade Pie Crust:
- Ice Water
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR Homemade Apple Pie Filling :
- Apples (I used Granny Smith)
- Lemon Juice
- Corn Starch
Making the Crust
Apple Pie Filling
Going in the Oven
Out of the Oven
Classic Homemade Apple Pie
- Food Processor
Easy Homemade Pie Crust
- 2.5 cups All-Purpose Flour plus more for rolling
- 1 cup Unsalted very cold Butter cubed
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 8-10 Tablespoons Ice Water
Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- 4 cups Apples peeled cored and chopped I used Granny Smith
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ cup Corn Starch
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt: Put flour, sugar, and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse 2-3 times to mix
- Add butter, half at a time, pulsing several times after each addition: Add about half of the butter to the food processor and pulse several times. Then add the rest of the butter and pulse 6 to 8 times
- Slowly add ice water and pulse until dough barely holds together, don,t add too much water
- Empty dough onto flat surface - gather into a mound and divide into 2 mounds
- Use your hands and knead each mound just enough to form each one into a disk. Do not over-knead! . You should just knead enough so that the dough holds together without cracks
- Sprinkle each disc with a little flour, wrap each one in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least one hour
- Remove the disc from refrigerator and let sit for 5-10 minutes
- Roll out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface to a 11inch circle; about ⅛ of an inch thick. If sticky ,sprinkle with a little more flour
- Pre-Heat Oven 375°
- Fit into 10 inch pie pan or cut down to a 9 inch
- Crimp edges around pie pan
- Prick holes in crust bottom and sides with fork to keep from bubbling.
- Fill Crust with Apple Pie Filling - I slice ½ a stick of butter and spread on top of apples (optional) cover with top crust - crimp edges
- Beat Egg and tablespoon of water -brush on top crust sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar ,make slits in top crust for venting
- Place Pie pan on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for 20 minutes ,reduce heat to 350 and bake additional 30-45 minutes -If edges start to get too brown cover with foil
Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- Place apple slices in bowl, toss in the lemon juice to prevent browning
- In a saucepan, whisk together cornstarch and water until blended.
- Add cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg. Whisk until blended.
- Add Apples to mixture in pan
- Cook on medium low until apples are soft -5-8 minutes
- Spread into pie crust or put in refrigerator for later