Perfect Carnitas in a Slow Cooker is spicy, tender, shredded pork. Use a pork butt or shoulder cooked all day in your crockpot with Mexican spices until fall-apart tender. Shred with two forks and use for tacos or burritos.
This Carnitas recipe really does come out perfect. After cooking the pork all day with spices and onions in the crockpot, it goes under the broiler to crisp it up. We served the pork in soft taco shells it was delicious and it will definitely be going in our menu rotation.
Mexican food is definitely my favorite food to eat and cook. With Cinco De Mayo coming right up, I need to decide if I want to serve these Carnitas or Chicken Fajitas In A Skillet. Whichever I decide on there will be chips and Easy Spicy Hot Salsa and The Best Skinny Jalapeno Margarita for sure.
It is the 5th of May also called the Anniversary of the Battle of Puebla, a holiday celebrated in parts of Mexico and the United States in honor of a military victory in 1862 over the French forces of Napoleon III.
Carnitas is pulled Pork cooked with Mexican spices. Often served on tortillas
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
How to Make Perfect Carnitas in a Slow Cooker :
- Pork Butt or Pork Shoulder
- Chicken Stock
- Minced Garlic
- Chipolte Pepper in adobo sauce (minced)
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
Gather all of the ingredients that are needed for the Pork Carnitas.
Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Pour chicken broth over everything and cover with a lid.
Cook Pork on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Shred pork with forks
Pork gets broiled on a baking sheet.
Carnitas in Bowl after being broiled.
Serve Carnitas in tortillas with toppings of choice.
Other Great Recipes You May Enjoy:
Perfect Carnitas in a Slow Cooker
- Crockpot, Slow Cooker
- 4 lbs Pork Butt or Shoulder
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Onion
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Chipolte Pepper in adobo sauce (minced)
- 3 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Trim any excess fat from pork
- Add pork and all dry ingredients to the slow cooker. Pour broth over all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- When pork is done and fall- apart tender. Shred the pork with 2 forks
- Preheat broiler on high and line baking sheets with foil. (use 2 if necessary)
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to the baking sheet, spread out evenly.
- Save juices for later
- Broil meat for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the broiler and ladle ¼ cup of the juice over the meat. Return to broiler for 3-5 minutes until the meat has crispy edges.
- Remove and serve hot in tacos, burritos or whatever your favorite dish may be.