This is definitely The Best Pork and Sauerkraut I have ever had. Baked in the oven pork roast with brown sugar sauerkraut, red potatoes, and carrots. You are sure to be a hit at Sunday dinner with this one.
The Best Pork and Sauerkraut
Most of the dinners that I have shared have been made in the instant pot like instant Pot Ham and Cabbage Dinner or slow cooker -Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore. This Pork and Sauerkraut was made in a traditional oven. Making it totally took me back to my childhood. It screamed Sunday night dinner to me. My mother was always great at making food stretch a long way. I guess when you have 7 kids and very little money, you learn to do that. Never did we go hungry though. My mother was and is a great cook.
They say pork and sauerkraut are traditionally eaten on New Year's Eve for good luck. Although I've never followed that tradition.
What kind of pork should you use for pork and sauerkraut? I have used pork chops in the past. However, I find a pork roast to be much more flavorful.
Do you sear the meat first? I do sear my roast on all sides to give it a crispy outside and seal in the flavor. If you choose to skip this step, I'm sure it would still be good.
How to Make The Best Pork and Sauerkraut:
- Pork Roast
- Brown Sugar
- Red Potatoes
- Onions (optional)
- Root Beer
- Olive Oil
- Salt, Pepper, Meat Tenderizer (optional)
- Pre-heat Oven
- Season Pork Roast with Kosher Salt and Pepper, Meat Tenderizer
- Heat Olive Oil in a Large Skillet
- Sear Roast on all Sides - Set aside
- Add Butter to Skillet, if using onions -saute in butter
- Next, add sauerkraut, brown sugar, and rootbeer heat for 3-4 minutes until brown sugar is melted
- Transfer Kraut Mixture to Baking Dish or Dutch Oven
- Place Roast on Top - Add Potatoes and Carrots
- Bake for 45-60 Minutes
Searing the Roast
Onions and Kraut
Going in the Oven
The Best Pork and Sauerkraut
- stove, large pan, knife, cutting board
- 2-3 lb Pork Roast
- 1 lb Sauerkraut (Drained Well)
- 10-12 Baby Red Potaoes
- 3-4 Large Carrots Or 12-15 baby carrots
- 1 Large Onion Optional
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Rootbeer Real Beer or Cider can be used
- Kosher Salt To Taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- Meat Tenderizer or Paprika To Taste
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- Pre-heat Oven to 350°
- Season Pork Roast well With Salt,Pepper, Meat Tenderizer any other Optional Spices
- In Large Skillet Heat Olive Oil til Hot - Sear Roast 3-4 minutes on Each Side - Set Aside
- Add Butter to Skillet - Saute Onion til Soft 3-4 minutes - Add Sauerkraut,brown sugar ,and rootbeer -stirring well until brown sugar melts.
- Transfer Kraut Mixture to Baking Pan or Dutch Oven - Add Pork Roast on Top of Kraut - Place Potatoes and Carrots around the Roast - Cover Foil or Lid
- Bake for 45-60 Minutes or until Internal Temperature reaches 160°
This post may contain affiliate links- a small commission will be earned on qualifying purchases