Lofthouse Sugar Cookies are a personal favorite. This copycat recipe tastes just like them. A soft sugar cookie made with sour cream and frosted with buttercream frosting. In honor of Valentine's Day, I used a heart-shaped cookie cutter and colored the frosting pink.
Lofthouse sugar cookies are made with both baking soda and baking powder. This gives them a more soft cake-like texture. Most recipes also call for sour cream.
You definitely could change the frosting if you prefer a different recipe. However, buttercream frosting is delicious with these cookies.
They can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for 5-7 days. In the freezer for 3-4 months.
How to Make Lofthouse Sugar Cookies (Copycat) :
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Corn Startch
- Sour Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Milk or Cream
- Food Coloring (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
Gather ingredients for the cookies.
Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth, add egg and vanilla.
Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet. Beat on low until well combined.
Next form a disk with the dough and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Roll out the dough.
Cut into hearts with a cookie cutter and ready for the oven.
Out of the oven. Place on a cooling rack.
Mix the buttercream frosting.
Add pink food coloring.
Frost the cookies with buttercream frosting. Add sprinkles if desired.
Ready to serve cookies.
Other Great Recipes You May Enjoy:
Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
- Electric Mixer
- Mixing Bowl, serving bowl , spatula
- , oven, baking pans
- 2 ¼ cups All-Purpose Four
- 1 tablespoon Corn Starch
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ cup Butter room temperature. If you use unsalted butter, add ½ teaspoon salt to recipe.
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg room temperatue
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Butter softened
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Milk or Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Food Coloring I used pink
- Sprinkles I used red
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstartch, baking powder and baking soda - set aside.
- In a separate bowl with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. mix in egg, vanilla and sour cream. Combine well , scrape sides of bowls as needed
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet. Mix well
- Shape dough into a disc , wrap in plastic and refrigerate, chilling for one hour
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Roll dough out onto silicone matt or floured counter. Roll to ¼ inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter ( I used heart shaped cutter) Cut out cookies and put on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned- Cool completelt
- Beat butter with electric mixer until smooth
- Slowly add in powdered sugar , vanilla and milk or cream
- Add in food coloring ( I used pink)
- Frost cookies and add sprinkles if desired