This Made From Scratch Lemon Meringue Pie is so good. This easy to make pie has a flaky pastry crust, lemony custard filling and fluffy golden meringue .
I was so happy when I found a recipe for Made From Scratch Lemon Meringue Pie that I thought I could actually make. Meringue has always scared me a little. Ha ha ,however, I love lemon flavored desserts. They are especially great in the summer. I have shared Extra Easy Lemonade Cream Cheese Pie and No-Bake Lemon Lush /Lasagna Extra Easy. They are both no-bake recipes which are normally my favorite. This time I wanted to try an actual baked pie.
This Lemon Meringue Pie started with Easy Homemade Pie Crust and filled with a lemon curd style filling and topped with a fluffy meringue made from egg whites.
Lemon Meringue can be tricky to make. If you don't get the meringue just right , it will separate or weep. (Pull away from crust and get watery)
Common Questions and Tricks for Making Lemon Meringue Pie:
Pour hot filling into par baked pie crust and add meringue immediately. Heat from the filling will help seal the meringue.
Yes Lemon Meringue should definitely be kept in the refrigerator. It will keep 3-4 days as long as it is kept in refrigerator.
Make sure bowl is perfectly clean, no grease or residue of any kind. Make sure no yoke gets into the whites and be sure to use cream of Tartar.
How to Make Easy Made from Scratch Lemon Meringue Pie :
INGREDIENTS NEEDED :
- Ice Water
- Egg Yolks
- Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Corn Starch
- Egg Whites
- Cream of Tartar
Blind Bake Homemade or Store Bought Pie Crust . ( par bake aprox 10 minutes)
Separating the eggs
Adding the Lemon Zest
Other Great Recipes You May Enjoy:
Easy Made from Scratch Lemon Meringue Pie
- Electric Mixer
- Mixing Bowl, serving bowl , spatula
- Pre-Made Pie Crust Store bought or homemade
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp. Corn Starch
- 1.5 cups Water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Lemons Zested
- ½ cup Lemon Juice From Fresh Lemons or bottle
- 4 Egg Yolks Beaten
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 4 Egg Whites
- ¼ cup Sugar
- Blind Bake Homemade or Bought Pie Crust
- Pre-Heat Oven 350°
- Separate Eggs
- In a medium sauce pan whisk together flour, sugar (1 cup) ,cornstarch and salt
- Slowly stir in water, lemon juice and the lemon zest. Bring to boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks ,take a little of hot mixture and whisk into eggs , when they are well mixed, Stir egg mixture into boiling lemon mix. Stir continually until thickened
- Remove from heat and pour into pie crust
- In stand mixer or glass bowl beat egg whites until frothy
- Slowly add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over hot filling ,seal edges with meringue
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown
- Cool and refrigerate before serving