This Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is so good. It is made with boneless chicken, mushrooms, onions and green peppers all in a spicy tomato sauce.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Being able to throw things in the slow cooker early in the day and forget about it till dinner time, makes life so much easier. Have you tried any of the other slow cooker meals that I have shared in the past? Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff or CrockPot Creamy Mushroom Chicken? Both are fantastic choices.
In the past the only times I had ever made chicken cacciatore it out of a jar. Chicken helper or something? You bought the sauce in a jar and added it to the chicken.
This time I was looking for a healthy homemade recipe that I could serve over low carb pasta. If you have not tried Thin Slim products yet, I highly recommend you do. We use the bread, the rolls, the pizza crusts, and the pasta. All of them have been a game-changer as far as eating low carb.
Most of the recipes I found well looking were made with fresh or canned whole tomatoes. I’m not a fan, therefore I switched it up a little and used tomato sauce and tomato paste. In addition mushrooms, onions, green peppers, garlic, and boneless chicken all mixed with a few Italian seasonings.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore :
- Chicken (I used half breasts and half thighs-boneless skinless)
- Mushrooms (I used canned)
- Onion (I used yellow)
- Green Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Black Pepper
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Pasta or Rice
- Although most of the meal is cooked in a slow cooker/crockpot – the chicken was seared and the veggies were browned in a skillet with olive oil.
- Add Chicken and Veggies to Slow Cooker, ( use a liner or spray slow cooker insert with food release)
- Pour Tomato Sauce and Tomato Paste over chicken.
- Stir in Oregano, Black Pepper, Salt and any other spices of choice
- Set Slow Cooker on high for 4 hrs or low for 8 hrs
Serve with a Salad or a Side of Veggies. If you arent watching your carbs, garlic bread or breadsticks would be great.
Looking for Other Chicken Dishes?
All great recipes.
If You Need A Dessert
Low Carb Pasta -Thin Slim
Chicken Cacciatore In Process
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Crockpot, Slow Cooker
- stove, large pan, knife, cutting board
- 2 large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Boneless Skinless Thighs
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Green Pepper Diced
- 1 Cup Mushrooms I used canned
- 2 15 oz Cans Tomato Sauce Canned Tomatoes Can be subbed
- 1 13-14 oz Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Ground Oregano
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes Or to Taste
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Rice or Pasta
- In a skillet heat olive oil on high, add chicken -sear on both sides 3-4 minutes per side- remove chicken and set aside
- Saute onions, green peppers, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil
- Place Chicken and sauteed veggies into the slow cooker
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste -stir well
- Add-in oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
- Place lid on crockpot
- Set timer on high for 4 hours or low for 8 -stir occasionally if possible
1/2 hour to 15 minutes before chicken is ready -cook pasta or rice as directed on package
Chicken can be broken up with a wooden spoon or served as a whole breast or thigh.
This post may contain affiliate links of which I receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.