Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie Recipe has been updated. Therefore, I gave it a try. This version is made with sweetened condensed milk instead of sugar. To be honest I really have never met a pumpkin pie I didn't love.
So I think we all grew up with our mothers making pumpkin pie using the recipe on the label of the pumpkin puree. I can see my mother in her apron now. However, in my adult life, I have to say. I've never made it made it. I pretty much always bought pumpkin pie from the local restaurant bakery for the Holidays. Last Thanksgiving I began dipping my toes in the water and made a couple of no-bake pies. No-Bake Pumpkin Cream Pie and No-Bake Chocolate Cream Pie.
In the new recipe, they eliminated the granulated sugar and replaced it with sweetened condensed milk. They also reduced cooking time by 10 minutes.
Yes, you absolutely can make this pie ahead of time. However, you should wrap the pie crust and the filling separately and put them together at the last minute before you put it in the oven.
Certainly! If you need a recipe for the crust try my Easy Homemade Pie Crust
So I pretty much stuck to the recipe that you find on the Libby's can or at https://libbys.com/. However, I added an extra egg yoke to thicken the filling a little. In addition, I used pumpkin pie spice versus the individual ingredients.
How To Make Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie Recipe :
INGREDIENTS NEEDED :
- Libby's Pure Pumpkin Puree
- Evaporated Milk
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Deep Dish Pie Crust (a second crust if doing cut out on top)
Gather Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie
Pie and Process, Mixing With Electric Mixer.
Roll out Pie Crust . Fit in Deep Dish Pie Pan . Use fork and poke holes in crust to keep from Bubbling . Blind Bake Crust for 15 minutes.
Fill pie crust and add rope or braided crust around the top if desired.
Cut shapes out of second crust. Place on top of pie for last 20 minutes.
Pie out of the oven. Cooling.
Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie New Recipe
- Electric Mixer
- Mixing Bowl, serving bowl , spatula
- 1 2-count Deep Dish Pie Crusts
- 1 15oz. can Libby's Pure Pumpkin Puree
- 1 14 oz. can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup Evaporated Milk
- 3 eggs 2 Whole Eggs 1 Yoke Separate 3rd egg and save whites for brushing on crust
- 3 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Pre-heat oven to 425°
- Roll out crust ,poke holes with fork and blind bake for 15 minutes (optional but keeps from getting soggy)
- In a mixing bowl , with and electric mixer mix eggs (2 whole and one yoke)
- Mix in pumpkin and the slowly add in milks and pumpkin pie spice
- Pour into pie shell
- If adding roped or braided crust to the top , do so and brush with egg wash
- Bake 15 minutes at 425° Then reduce to 375 ° and bake for an addition 40-50 minutes . Until pie is set and a fork comes out clean when inserted in center
- If adding cut outs to top , add the for the last 15 -20 minutes and brush with egg wash
- Roped crust can be covered with foil ( or pie crust ring)to keep from burning
- Remove pie from oven and cool completely for 2-3 hrs