3 Cheese Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Made with elbow macaroni, breaded chicken, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and sharp white cheese. Baked in the oven with buffalo sauce, cheese sauce, and crispy bread crumbs on top.
3 Cheese Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
This mac and cheese recipe is different than my Extra Creamy Instant Pot Mac and Cheese. It is made in the oven with 3 different kinds of cheese-White sharp cheddar, orange cheddar, and mozzarella. Both recipes are delicious for sure. However, this one is more of a meal versus a side dish. By adding crispy chicken strips dipped in buffalo sauce and baking in the oven, you will have your meat and pasta all in one. Just add a Classic Wedge Salad or The Best 1 WW Point Asparagus and your meal will be complete.
Recently I took this dish to a family get together and it was a huge hit. Creamy cheesy macaroni along with the spicy crispy chicken. Could there be a better combo? I think not.
Mac and Cheese on Fork
So let me share with you how I made this delicious dish.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese :
INGREDIENTS NEEDED :
- Elbow Macaroni
- Chicken Strips – I used (http://TYSON.com )
- Buffalo Sauce – I used Sweet Baby Rays Buffalo Sauce
- Heavy Cream
- Garlic Powder
- White Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Orange Cheddar Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Bread Crumbs
- Cook and drain macaroni (cook al dente because it will cook more in the oven)
- Cook Chicken in the oven for 15 minutes remove and chop into bite-size pieces
- Coat chicken in buffalo sauce
- Make Cheese sauce-
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, using a whisk to swirl it to ensure the butter melts completely
- Whisk in Flour
- While whisking, slowly pour the milk in the saucepan.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and season with garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Continue to whisk until sauce thickens and is smooth
- Slowly whisk in cheeses
- Stir macaroni and chicken together and pour into baking dish
- Pour cheese sauce over macaroni
- Top with bread crumbs
- Let stand – serve
Mac and Cheese Ingredients
Ingredients for Mac and Cheese
Cutting the Chicken
Pouring the Cheese
Going in the Oven
Ready to Serve
3 Cheese Mac and Cheese
- stove, large pan, knife, cutting board
- 1 lb Elbow Macaroni
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 6-8 Chicken Strips Chopped
- 2.5 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Buffalo Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cups Shredded White Sharp Cheddar
- 2 cups Shredded Orange Cheddar
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 3/4 cup Bread Crumbs
- Cook Macaroni until al-dente (it will cook more in the oven) drain
- Cook Chicken Strips as directed on the package (chop chicken into bite size or slightly larger pieces
- Coat Chicken in Buffalo Sauce
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, using a whisk to swirl it to ensure the butter melts completely and does not burn .
- While whisking, sprinkle in the flour.
- While whisking, slowly pour the milk and heavy cream in the saucepan.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and season with garlic powder and pepper.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Slowly Stir in Cheeses Until Smooth
- Combine Macaroni and Chicken - Pour in Baking Dish
- Pour Cheese Sauce over Macaroni and Chicken
- Top with Bread Crumbs
- Bake for 30-40 Minutes if you want it to be extra Crispy put under broiler for 5-10 minutes
- Let stand for 10 minutes
- Serve well hot