This Slow Cooker Clam Chowder – is a New England clam chowder recipe. It is made in the slow cooker/crockpot. Seafood fans will love this easy creamy and rich lent approved homemade soup.
Slow-Cooker Clam Chowder
Most of the soups that have been shared have been made in the instant pot Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup, Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Instant Pot, Bacon Cheeseburger Instant Pot Soup Low Carb Keto to name a few. However, for a change, thought using the slow cooker/crockpot for this Slow Cooker Clam Chowder would be good. Who doesn’t love the crockpot? I love slow cooking everything and getting the house smelling great. Have you tried Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff or Slow Cooker Apple Spice Dump Cake either will make your house smell wonderful?
Who doesn’t love a good hot bowl of New England Clam chowder with some Crusty Bread or Oyster crackers? Maybe even both. Do you know the difference between New England and Manhatten Clam Chowder? The biggest difference is that Manhatten Style is made with a tomato base. New England Clam Chowder has a milk or cream base. New England is my personal favorite as well as everyone’s in my household.
Finding the Right Recipe :
Well looking for recipes to make clam chowder, it was surprising to me that most of the recipes had bacon in them. With a daughter and a grandson who don’t eat pork, that wasn’t going to work. In addition to that fact, it should also be able to be eaten by those who practice lent. Although we are not Catholic, we all know that Friday is clam chowder day everywhere during lent.
This chowder is packed full of clams, red skin on potatoes, (because who wants to peel potatoes?) celery, onions some spices all in a cream and chicken broth base. Everyone thought the chowder came out great for my first stab at it. It was easy to throw together and tasted delicious. Whether you are serving it as an appetizer before dinner or adding a salad and bread or a sandwich and calling it a meal, you will love it. If you are a bacon lover, crumble some on top and I’m sure it would be even better.
Ingredients Needed to Make Slow Cooker Clam Chowder:
- Canned Clams
- Potatoes (I used Red)
- Chicken Stock
- Heavy Cream
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
Instructions to Make Chowder
- Heat Butter, Diced Onion and Celery in a skillet -saute until somewhat soft
- Add all above ingredients to crockpot
- Add diced potatoes, chicken stock, salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours in the crockpot
- Whisk flour into cold cream – add to chowder and cook an additional -1-2 hours
Slow Cooker Clam Chowder
- Crockpot, Slow Cooker
- 2-6oz Cans Minced Clams
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion Diced
- 2-3 Stacks Celery -sliced into small pieces
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 5-6 Potaoes Chopped I used red -skin on
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to taste
- Parsley or Scallions garnish
- Heat Butter, Diced Onion and Celery in a skillet -saute until somewhat softened, add all above ingredients to crockpot
- Add diced potatoes, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and garlic powder cook on high for 3-4 hours in the crockpot
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours in the crockpotWhisk flour into cold cream - add to chowder and cook an additional -1-2 hour
Can Be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight container’